New Flame

12 August 2007




VESSEL & Interveners

1 - IMO Number : 9077393 2 - Name of Ship : New Flame
3 - Call Sign : 3EDW 4 - Gross Tonnage : 26824
5 - Type of Ship : Bulk Carrier 6 -Year of Build : 1994
7 - Flag : Panama 8 -Status of Ship : In Service
9 -   Registred Owner : GLADIATOR NAVIGATION SA 10 - Address :




11 - Ship Manager :


12 - Address :


131, Praxitelous Street, Piraeus Greece

13 - Classification Society : China Classification Society 14 - P&I

Swedish Club

15 - Surveyor :   16 - Sollicitor :  
17 - Hull Underwriters :   18 - Cargo Underwriters :  
19 - Others :


Lloyd's Agency


20 - Others :

Tsavliris Salvage (International) Ltd



NB : Information 1 to 14 are extracted from the database EQUASIS. Information are updated at the date of the casualty.

Information from 15 to 20 were found on public websites




In collision with Tom Gertrud 0.7 miles south of Gibraltar 12th August 2007. Bow touching sea bed with risk of sinking. Three tugs holding stable. Seems to be total lost regarding the extent of damage sustaine during the collision. To be advised.






Agrandir le plan




Date :

From 26 October 2007 to Source :

Lloyd's List


27.08.2008: Last week Titan Salvage removed the wreck's 600 - ton accommodations block. The wreck is no longer visible from above the water and the only signs that parts of the wreck still remain are the ongoing activities of the salvors still working on site. Salvors can now begin the process of removing the remaining cargo. The next lifts will be pieces of the wreck to enable access quickly to any other remaining cargo on the wreck currently trapped under collapsed side shell on the port side of the ship. Once the remaining cargo is accessible, salvors will reposition the cargo recovery barge back on the wreck site and recover remaining cargo prior to removing the primary hull structure.


29.06.2008: Cargo removal onboard Tom Gertrud still ongoing.


07.06.2008: The Gibralter Port Authority issued a Local Notice to Mariners confirming and extending the exclusion zone around the vessel. The Notice will be brought to the attention of all vessels entering and leaving Gibralter waters and to all masters and persons in charge of local craft. Cargo of shredded steel will be lifted out of the vessel 5,000 tons at a time by a crane barge and transhipped onto smaller coaster vessels. Once the cargo has been removed, the wreck will be cut into smaller sections and removed from the site.


Madrid, Feb 11 — Spain’s government today demanded Britain prevent fuel spills from wrecked bulk carrier New Flame off its colony Gibraltar that have polluted Spanish beaches. Small amounts of fuel from the New Flame, which partially sank off Gibraltar in August, washed onto beaches near Algeciras over the weekend after a storm, Spain’s Environment Ministry said. Spain says it is the British colony’s responsibility that the wreck is cleaned-up. Spanish Foreign Minister Miguel Angel Moratinos said the chief minister of Gibraltar, Peter Caruana, had promised the colony would try to stop further spills. “He said he accepted full responsibility and promised us that he will do everything necessary to avoid anything worse,” Moratinos told reporters in Madrid. In an interview with Spanish national radio, Caruana said every effort would be made to salvage the vessel and added that the oil spill had been small. “It was a small slick of very light fuel oil which is being dealt with and, although we regret there has been an incident affecting Spain’s coast, everything possible is being done,” he said. Spanish Environment Minister Cristina Narbona said the government had called in the British ambassador about salvage efforts which have been complicated after the vessel sank further over the weekend. Andalusian authorities plan to file for damages against the ship’s owner and insurer, a press agency reported. — Reuters. (See issue of Feb 12.)


Gibraltar, Feb 11 — The following press release was issued by The Government of Gibraltar, dated Feb 10: As a result of stormy conditions over the weekend, bulk carrier New Flame’s No.5 cargo hold flooded, causing a loss of buoyancy, which has resulted in the stern section of the vessel settling on the seabed in an upright position. All that now remains visible above the sea surface is the vessels navigation bridge, aft mast and the upper part of her funnel. As this was not unexpected, Titan, the firm contacted for the wreck removal operation, had already put in place precautionary measures before the onset of the stormy weather. These measures, which consisted of a number of heavy lift chains being placed under the hull of the vessel will eventually enable the section of the vessel which flooded, to be lifted from the seabed once operations re-commence. The incident, which happened during the hours of darkness on the morning of Sunday Feb 10, has not caused any oil pollution. However, there may have been a minor spill of light engine diesel oil from the salvors equipment, which was on the deck at the time of the incident. Operations, in relation to the removal of the wreck, are scheduled to recommence once the weather improves later this week. — Lloyd’s Agents.


London, Feb 10 — A press report, dated today, states: Bulk carrier New Flame sank today off Algeciras after being partly submerged for six months, coating nearby beaches in a film of oil, officials said. The mayor of Algeciras, Tomas Herrera, told journalists that emergency services had been called in to help clean the spill, which had begun to build up on 8-km-long Rinconcillo beach. New Flame has been partly submerged since it collided with product tanker Torm Gertrud on Aug 12. The New Flame slowly split in two and began sinking. The stern of the vessel could be seen above the surface until today, Herrera said. Antonio Munoz, local spokesman for environmental group Ecologists in Action, said oil could be found in small quantities on many beaches in the south-western Mediterranean.


London, Jan 9 - A press report, dated Jan 8, states: Titan Salvage, the company contracted for the recovery of bulk carrier New Flame, which has been lying off Gibraltar since it was hit by a tanker last August, will cut the vessel in two at the end of this month. The news came in a joint press conference given by a company representative, Dan Schwall, and Peter Caruana, Gibraltar’s Chief Minister, today. The cutting operation will take three days, with a further two days needed after that for the stern to be stabilised and put at anchor. The next stage, removing the cargo and recovering the bow section, will take an estimated three to four months, the company said. Both men said that the vessel’s fuel tanks are empty, but, according a report, some leakage of residue in parts of the New Flame where pumping has taken place, is still possible. Spain’s Environment Ministry said last week that 239 tons of polluted material have been removed from the beaches in Algeciras, which authorities in Spain believe came from the New Flame.


London, Dec 28 — Titan Salvage has despatched a 14-man team to Gibraltar to remove the wreck of bulk carrier New Flame. The operation will involve refloating the stern section, which broke from the bow of the ship last weekend and settled on the seabed in 27 metres of water. Once refloated, the condition of the stern section will be assessed at anchorage before being brought into port for dismantling. The bow section of New Flame is lodged on Europa Reef and will be cut into sections at the site and removed. The operation is expected to start in January but the timescale for completion is largely dependant on weather conditions. “If we have a decent weather window, itís a job that can be done very quickly,” said Mark Hoddinott, Titanís UK-based European director. Titan has two vessels currently operating out of Gibraltar, the salvage ship Union Beaver and tug Mistral. A third tug and a very large barge are expected to arrive in the New Year. Greek salvors Tsavliris will keep its tug Fotiy Krylov at the site until the wreck is formally handed to Titan. Tsavliris had previously tried to save the stern section but the project was abandoned due to costs and technical factors. The bill so far is in excess of $20 million, according to the Gibraltar Government. The operation is now to remove the entire wreck and its cargo, which Mr Hoddinott said consists of “a jumble of scrap”. “The Gibraltar Government is entirely satisfied with the conduct of this complex and difficult operation to date,” a government spokesman said. The spokesman said that environmental and navigational safety remained the Gibraltar’s main priorities. “Accordingly, we will continue to keep the Spanish authorities well informed, so that they can assess and take whatever steps they deem necessary to protect their environment” he said, a reference to heightened concerns about pollution following the break-up of New Flame last weekend. “That said, the government is advised that the operation does not represent a material risk to the environment.”


London, Dec 27 - A press report, dated today, states: Salvage operations on bulk carrier New Flame continued throughout yesterday as the vessel¹s stern sunk to the seabed. The operations were re-launched prior to Christmas after severe weather conditions led to the stern of the vessel sinking, and the ship breaking in two.


London, Dec 24 A press report, dated Dec 22, states: The Government of Gibraltar held an emergency meeting with the maritime authorities and salvors of bulk carrier New Flame after severe weather conditions saw the already foreseen and anticipated break up of the vessel during the early hours of the morning. News of the break up was soon circulating this morning as observers reported that the vessel's stern had sunk further to the seabed. As from early morning both the Chief Minister and DTI Minister Joe Holliday were at Europa Point observing the ongoing operations, under heavy rain, as contingency plans were put in place to secure the vessel and safeguard the area as the vessel broke in two, leaving salvage tug Fortiy Krylov pulling on the stern of the vessel to ensure it would not shift from its present position. At an impromptu press conference, the Chief Minister informed that following heavily prolonged bad weather the vessel had broken up into two. The stern section of the vessel was now expected to disappear below the sea level. He further informed that unless the vessel moved laterally into deeper waters, the funnel and one and a half decks of the superstructure of the bridge would remain above water. Asked on the possibilities of the vessel shifting laterally Mr Caruana informed that a shift laterally could see the vessel sink to a depth of some 45 metres due to the reef¹s geological formation. At present the vessel was settling at a depth of just 27 metres. A shift of some 50 metres laterally could, however, see it sink further sinking the whole of the stern, including the bridge. While the vessel's stern had been expected to float initially, the constant battering from waves had now seen its holds filled up with water, with the sinking of the vessel now seen as a certainty. However, the refloating of the vessel was still an option discussed by salvors. Salvage experts have also advised the Gibraltar Government that there is no risk of material pollution, since the vessel is defuelled and only small remnant amounts of

fuel remain in the engines themselves. Salvors' pumps and other light equipment had, however, already submerged due to the latest changes in the position of the vessel. As reports of oil spills across some Spanish coastlines were blamed on New Flame, the government rejected the allegations, claiming that since August most spills had been attributed to New Flame. Insisting that there was no risk of a fuel spill, the Government assured that, notwithstanding the lack of risk of pollution, the Gibraltar Port Authorities had deployed the necessary anti-pollution resources. With the assistance of Spanish Maritime Authorities the situation was being monitored and contained. Co-operation between Spain and Gibraltar was still in place, with the tugs Salvamar and Cervantes already off Europa Point monitoring the ongoing operations and providing their assistance to the local authorities. As the vesselís stern sunk further onto the sea-bed the salvors will now be appointed. The salvage operations will however not start until the vessel has settled on the seabed, with Fortiy Krylov expected to release its line once it is deemed the vessel is secure and will not move any further along the seabed. With sea currents and bad weather expected

throughout the forthcoming days it is expected that it will take up to five days before the vessel is considered secure in its position. However, a further shift which could dislodge the vessel to an area in which in could sink a further 200 metres was described as totally improbable. (See issue of Dec 14.)


London, Dec 13 Attempts by Tsavliris Salvage to remove the wreck of the bulk carrier New Flame from its location off Gibraltar have been hampered by bad weather. The 43,815 tonne dwt ship, with approximately 42,000 tonnes of scrap on board, was abandoned in sinking conditions and stranded with its bow on the seabed after colliding with product tanker Torm Gertrud. Tsavliris Salvage was engaged to try to avoid a pollution problem and to salvage ship and cargo. Salvage tug Fotiy Krylov was mobilised from the North Sea, a salvage team headed by Salvage Master Captain Barend Visser was flown to Gibraltar and substantial portable salvage and anti-pollution equipment was dispatched from Tsavliris Piraeus Salvage Depot. Diving surveys and studies were undertaken in conjunction with the Gibraltar authorities and priority was given to removing the shipís bunkers by pumping it into barges. The operation to remove 780 cu m of fuel was completed in just 30 days in spite of the exposed location of the vessel and the loss of 10 days' work due to inclement weather. Operations to salvage the ship continue but have continued to be hampered by bad weather. Due to the structural degradation suffered by the vessel during and after the collision, it will not be possible to remove the ship in one piece. Attempts to cut the vessel in two using a unique technique, employing a high-tech cutting wire deployed from two carefully chosen and specially equipped anchor handing tugs, was also disrupted by the continuing bad weather. (See issue of Dec 4.)


London, Dec 2 - A press report, dated today, states: Salvage operations to cut and refloat the stricken bulk carrier New Flame have recently been halted after a dispute over the cost of the operation and initial failures to cut up the vessel as first proposed, according to maritime sources. Since the operations started Gibfocus understands that the initial first phase of cutting was met with technical problems when one of the holds of the vessel collapsed. This leading to changes in the position in which the vessel was to be cut as the risk of continuing were assessed. Since the initial failure little work has been undertaken to continue with the cutting operations, both the effects of severe weather conditions, as well as a rift over the cost of the operation, recently seeing the vessel seemingly abandoned to the weather conditions. Unconfirmed reports have suggested that the salvage operation has been halted due to ongoing disputes and concerns over the actual cargo still onboard the vessel. With weather conditions expected to worsen during the coming weeks maritime experts have indicated that the delay in breaking up the vessel could now see nature take its course forcing the maritime authorities to respond to its break up under severe weather conditions, rather than from a controlled break up.


London, Nov 7 A press report, dated Nov 6, states: The controlled break-up of bulk carrier New Flame, which collided with a tanker (product tanker Torm Gertrud) near Gibraltar in August, has been postponed for the moment, with reports that the vessel's insurers are reconsidering the plan to split the structure in two. Gibraltar's Chief Minister, Peter Caruana, said today that the insurance company would announce its decision on Saturday (Nov 10). The plan was to make the split in an attempt to salvage the stern for future reuse. Caruana said the insurers, who are financing the salvage operation, are now studying whether it is economically viable. The vessel has been lying half-sunk off Europa Point since the collision near the rock on Aug 12.


Date :

From 18 to 25 October 2007 Source :

Lloyd's List


London, Oct 25 A press report, dated today, states: Government has today confirmed that the operations to salve bulk carrier New Flame have now commenced. A spokesperson said today, "Earlier this week the salvage team began preparatory work to salve the aft part of the vessel.Those operations, which included positioning two specialist vessels in place and a cutting wire, are currently taking place. " It is envisaged that later today the salvage team will begin cutting the vessel in two which will allow the aft part of the vessel to float free in a controlled manner. Thereafter, once sufficient buoyancy is introduced into this section the aft part of the vessel will be towed into the bay for lightering of cargo operations before it can be towed safely to the South Mole. It is anticipated that the actual cutting operation and ensuring sufficient buoyancy will take about three days, before the aft section of New Flame can be removed from site.


Gibraltar, Oct 18 Bulk carrier New Flame is still lying in the same

position. The first phase of the salvage plan, involving the removal of the fuel contained in the vessel¹s tanks, has already been completed and the second phase is scheduled to commence soon. The vessel has a breach of 26 metres by 15 metres in its port side plating. Lloyd¹s Agents.


London, Oct 18 Salvors waiting to cut the stranded bulk carrier New Flame in two have given the Gibraltar government until tomorrow evening to allow the operation to proceed. Tsavliris Salvage warned that an expected window of good weather early next week could be the last chance to remove two-thirds of the vessel safely. Otherwise work may be postponed until spring, while the vessel may break up by itself, endangering navigation. The contractor has reportedly threatened to walk away from the casualty if immediate permission is not granted. A source close to the operation claimed cutting had been delayed until after Oct 11 elections, which returned the same government. However, the authorities this week suddenly demanded a P&I club guarantee to remove the wreck, he said, adding that ironically this is now preventing the operation.


Date :

10 October 2007 Source :

Lloyd's List


Cargo claim for Gibraltar collision pair

James Brewer Wednesday 10 October 2007

CARGO interests have tabled notice of major claims against the owners of the product tanker Torm Gertrud and of the dry bulker New Flame, which were in collision off Gibraltar in an incident which left the latter the subject of a tricky salvage operation, writes James Brewer.

Experts expect that the majority of the value of the New Flame’s cargo of 44,200 tonnes of scrap will be lost, with initial estimates of a minimum $10m.

Dolphin Maritime, the London-based cargo recovery specialist, which has issued writs in New York against both owners, said that with operations still proceeding, it was difficult to quantify the loss, but it would be substantial.

As the Torm group recently bought the US tanker company OMI, it will be responding on home ground.

The New Flame, flying the Panama flag, was on voyage from New York to Turkey with a cargo worth around $13.5m, covered by two insurers, when the incident occurred.

Representatives of the Torm Gertrud are separately reported to have issued a writ in Gibraltar against the New Flame.

Gibraltar is subject to a 1976 limitation convention that entails much lower compensation than the 1996 limitation convention and is also lower than the limitation which is applied in the US and usually based on the value of the vessel. The New Flame hull may have been worth in the region of $25m to $30m, and is insured for protection and indemnity by the Swedish Club.

The claim against both ships seeks an indemnity for the reward that will have to be paid to the salvors and for cargo lost in hold number two, which will be cut and become open to the sea, and an indemnity for any lost in number one hold, which is likely to remain on the seabed for some time. The salvage claim predicted of at least $10m could outstrip the likely value of the salvaged ship and cargo.


Date :

From 20 August to 5 October Source :

Lloyd's List


London, Oct 5 -- A report in the Oct 4 issue of "Newsfront", states: Tsavliris Salvage will use the same 'cheese wire', cutting technique to split the stranded, 43,800 dwt bulk carrier New Flame that was used to dismantle the 49,800 gt car carrier Tricolor and Russian submarine Kursk. The Greek salvor is to use a cutting wire, to cut the hull of the 1994-built bulker in half as it lies grounded off Gibraltar after being in collision mid-August with the Torm-controlled, 46,000 dwt product tanker Torm Gertrud, which sustained minor damage. The cutting technique was last used by Smit when it dismantled the Tricolor, which grounded in the English Channel four years ago. The cut in the hull of the New Flame will be made about one-third

of the vessel's length in from the bow. The work is scheduled to begin in the first week of October and if the weather remains favourable is estimated to take "only a few days", contrary to earlier reports of up to a month. Tsavliris explained the cutting operation requires two stable platforms provided by anchor handling tug supply vessels in order to fit the winches (master and slave which are separately installed) control rooms and power packs. Only difference between the master and the slave winches is the master has a control desk and display panel for the purpose of determining settings like winch speed, back tension, pre-set points and the length of the cutting stroke. On Sep 12 Tsavliris completed the lightering of the 700 tonnes of fuel oil and lube oils on board a job which took 30 days. The

tanks have been stripped and sealed with expanding foam and the oilspill-response units provided by the European Maritime Safety Agency (Emsa) were not required as no oil spilled. The stern section is to be towed to safe waters in the Bay of Gibraltar to remove the cargo before it is taken to the Cammel Laird Gibraltar dry dock. The vessel's bow and its cargo of steel

products, however, will have to be dismantled further on site an operation expected to take six months to complete. (See issue of Sep 19.)

London, Sep 17 A press report, dated today, states: The operation to remove the fuel from bulk carrier New Flame has been successfully completed. 780 cubic metres of fuel has been removed in just 30 days, despite the exposed location of the vessel and the loss of 10 days due to inclement weather. No fuel has been spilled from New Flame into the sea. The salvage operation now moves into its next phase which is the removal of the ship. Due to structural degradation suffered by the vessel during the collision and subsequently, it will not be possible to extract the ship in one piece. The ship will therefore have to be cut into two sections, at a point about one-third of its length, from the bow, just forward of No.2 crane. The stern section, comprising two thirds, of the ships’ length and three cargo holds will be removed first. This section will float and will be towed away to safe waters in the Bay of Gibraltar where some of its cargo will be removed at anchorage to enable it to be brought alongside. Once alongside the remainder of the cargo will be unloaded and the stern section towed into Cammell Laird Gibraltar Dry Docks. The bow section, consisting of about 1/3 of the ship’s length and two cargo holds will then be removed, in sections, including the cargo, which consists of non-oil scrap metal. These salvage operations are currently being engineered. The removal of the stern section could begin in around three weeks time, and will take about one month to complete. The operation to remove the whole of the ship might take upto six months, subject to weather conditions. This phase of the operation does not represent a risk of a pollution event. During the salvage operation the site will be marked by four lit wreck buoys in the normal manner, and a one-mile exclusion zone maintained. (See issue of Sep 17.)

London, Sep 14 -- A Tsavliris Salvage report, dated Sep 13, states: The Tsavliris salvage team on board bulk carrier New Flame completed the removal of oils from the vessel yesterday. Significant quantities of oils, all engine-room tanks, service/settling and lubricant oil and diesel storage tanks were emptied, stripped and sealed with expanding foam. Oils removed

from New Flame were transported and delivered at the shore reception facility at Gibraltar port. The Tsavliris Salvage team continues to prepare New Flame for refloating. (See issue of Sep 12.)

Gibraltar, Sep 11 -- Bulk carrier New Flame is still in the same position and salvage operations are in progress. At present salvors Tslaviris are removing bunker fuel and will decide how to proceed once this is completed.-- Lloyd's Agents. (See issue of Sep 10.)

London, Sep 6 -- A press report, dated Sep 5, states: Sea marker buoys demarcating the spot at which bulk carrier New Flame is situated will be arriving in Gibraltar on Tuesday (? Sep 11) according to well informed sources. The same sources have revealed that the markers have been contracted out by the Government of Gibraltar from a Leicester based supplier for a period of a year. According to the same sources the markers

will be used to pinpoint the area where parts of New Flame are expected to remain after the salvage operations. In the meantime fuel extraction from the vessel resumed today during the morning. The continued extraction comes at a time when reports suggest that the vessel has already extensive damage,

with the vessel described as broken up into three by some sources. While the authorities have dismissed claims of fuel leaks, local sources, operating within the maritime industry, claim that clean up operations are known to have taken place at night as ìgasoilî leak is believed to be taking place.

As reports emerged of the arrival of oil spill response ship Mistral Bay to the area to assist in clean up operations if necessary the Gibraltar Government has issued an unusual statement giving other reasons for its arrival. In a statement by Number Six Convent Place a spokesman said, ìThe Government of Gibraltar has noted press reports attributing to an official of the European Maritime Safety Agency the statement that it has despatched

its vessel Mistra Bay to Gibraltar at the request of Spain to stand by inthe event of oil spill from New Flame. ìSince New Flame lies in Gibraltar waters it would be the Gibraltar Government, in the context of the Member State UK, that would have to request the deployment of resources from EMSA

in case of need. The Gibraltar Government has not made any such request because sufficient resources are already available to deal with any conceivable oil spill from New Flame, however unlikely that may be. Should the Government be advised that there is any change in these circumstances, the Gibraltar Government would then request the assistance of EMSA under

Article 2(c) of European Maritime Safety Agency Regulations. ìThe Spanish Government has presumeably therefore requested EMSAís intervention on the Spanish side of the Bay of Gibraltar either to stand by while the cargo of oil is unloaded from the other ship involved in the collision, Torm Gertrud

(which is in Algeciras), or to help protect the Spanish coastline in the event of an oil leak from either vessel. Mistra Bay is therefore sailing to Spain, not to Gibraltar. ì A Gibraltar Government spokesman said that it had not received any contact from EMSA before the issue of their statement and

that EMSA was not involved in the Gibraltar operations.î (See issue of Sep7.)

London, Sep 7 -- Gibraltar has reacted with annoyance to a Spanish call to Brussels for a European Maritime Safety Agency oil spill response vessel to stand by, in case the stricken bulk carrier New Flame causes pollution. In a statement, the Gibraltar government said the vessel is lying in Gibraltar waters and that local authorities already had sufficient capacity on site to

cope with any spill. ìSince the New Flame lies in Gibraltar waters it would be the Gibraltar government, in the context of the Member State UK, that would have to request the deployment of resources from EMSA in case of need,î the statement said. ìThe Gibraltar government has not made any such request because sufficient resources are already available to deal with any

conceivable oil spill from New Flame, however unlikely that may be. The Spanish government has presumably therefore requested EMSAís intervention on the Spanish side of the Bay of Gibraltar either to stand by while the cargo of oil is unloaded from the other vessel involved in the collision, the product tanker Torm Gertrud, which is in Algeciras, or to help protect the

Spanish coastline in the event of an oil leak from either vessel. Mistra Bay is therefore sailing to Spain, not to Gibraltar.î A Gibraltar government spokesman said that it had not received any contact from EMSA before the issue of its statement and that EMSA was not involved in the Gibraltar operations. The Mistra Bay was due to arrive in the area yesterday.

Relations between the Spanish authorities and the British overseas territory on maritime issues are said to be almost non-existent. Longstanding Spanish claims of sovereignty over the territory make all relations highly sensitive.

London, Sep 5 -- A press report, dated Sep 4, states: The DTI Minister Joe Holliday once again dismissed claims of a fuel leak from bulk carrier New Flame. As reports emerged of a fuel spill on the shore lines off Getares, which is in the direction of the sea wind from New Flameís location, the minister pointed out that he had no information which indicated that there

had been any fuel leak. He further said that he was satisfied with the salvage operations which would continue extracting fuel today. The Minister, who as taken a personal involvement in ensuring all avenues are covered told how he himself walked in the evenings to Europa Point to observe the vessel

and question the salvage experts later. While acknowledging that concern would exist amongst the public over the damage to the vessel, he pointed out that he himself had questioned the team from similar observations. He explained that the vessel already rolled between six degree to 10 degree on either side due to the forces of the wind and swell, but had been assured

that the rolling and twisting was not as serious a concern as it might seem to the untrained eye. Holliday further assured that constant monitoring of the situation was still taking place and that safety continued to remain priority at all times even though many critics were expressing concern over the delays.

London, Sep 3 - A press report, dated today, states: The salvage operations to extract the fuel from bulk carrier New Flame continued suspended this weekend. As the waves lashed onto the ship's hull maritime observers point to the seeming extension of the damage this weekend. The vessel could now be clearly seen listing towards one side at the deepest end, with a white wash covering it as the constant lashing of waves continued. Salvage teams have patrolled the vessel throughout the weekend with at least two tugs this weekend seen circling around the vessel or close by in what seemed to be a continuous monitoring operation for possible oil spills. Divers and technicians were yesterday afternoon observed next to the vessel as the ships stability was once again being checked.

London, Sep 3 - The European Union emergency oil spill response ship Mistra Bay is en route to Gibraltar amid concern that the grounded bulk carrier New Flame is close to breaking up. In the first test of the EU’s back-up capacity, Mistra Bay was struggling through a force-seven storm and was reported off the coast of Tunisia. The vessel, a bunker tanker now under the control of the Lisbon-based European Maritime Safety Agency, is expected to arrive in the Bay of Algeciras on Thursday (Sep 6). It was mobilised late on Friday within three hours of a request from Spain, where there are growing fears of pollution from the fuel oil, reportedly around 400 tonnes, still on board New Flame. Mistra Bay is based in Valletta with a remit to cover the eastern Mediterranean. It was therefore around 1,000 miles away but was nevertheless the closest vessel in the fledgling EU fleet available to answer Spain’s call. While a standby vessel should soon be operating out of Portugal, EU coverage along the Atlantic seaboard is not yet in place. “Emsa is still in the process of building up its contracted fleet of anti-pollution vessels,” said Emsa executive director, Willem de Ruiter. “We still have some way to go before we can provide comprehensive pollution response back-up to member states throughout EU waters. However, on this occasion, we quickly assessed the options and offered the Malta-based Mistra Bay to the Spanish authorities within three hours of their request.” Two Emsa liaison officers have been dispatched: one, a Russian-speaker, is on board Mistra Bay to coordinate operations with the Ukrainian crew; another, a Spanish-speaker, has been sent to Spain to coordinate with the local authorities, which already have anti-pollution vessels on stand-by. Emsa officials expressed satisfaction with the way the ship had been mobilised. (Note - According to Lloyd's MIU AIS Mistra Bay was in lat 37 29 25N, long 11 17 04E, at 0042, today, speed 7.7 knots, course 288 degrees.)

London, Sep 1 - A press report, dated Aug 31, states: As reports in the Spanish media claimed that fuel had leaked from the stricken bulk carrier New Flame the Gibraltar Government initiated an investigation to verify if the reports were true. With the salvage operations of the vessel still taking place off Europa Point the maritime authorities and the Salvage team met to discuss the next stage of the operation and the claims being made in the Spanish press. It is understood that the authorities were assured that throughout the salvage operations no known leak of fuel has taken place. An independent surveyor acting as a monitor of the operations confirming to officials that there had been no known fuel leak after an inspection of the area. It is, however, believed that some hydraulic fuel from equipment on board the vessel might have leaked into the sea, although the incident is described as a minor one. The denials of a fuel leak came as the salvage team continued with their plans to extract the fuel. Although expectations have been for the vessel to be removed due to bad weather condition due to hit the area. Experts have instead opted to remove the fuel with no risk to the vessel expected with the bad weather. Maritime experts have pointed out that while the vessel seems to have buckled considerably, indicating the extend of the damage, it is not believed it is likely to break away in the coming day. Sound and motion sensors on the vessel have also been put in place providing a pre-warning of any increase in the stress of the hull which might indicate that the vessel is due to break up. Officials have today indicated that all fuel extraction operations will be suspended during the weekend due to the increasing winds and as a safeguard to the barge operating alongside the stricken vessel.

London, Aug 29 - A press report, dated today, states: The salvage operations of bulk carrier New Flame continued with the extraction of fuel resuming last night as experts hope to refloat the vessel. It has also been revealed that as the focus on New Flame continued the damaged product tanker Torm Gertrud, which was involved in the collision and was heading to the port of Algecrias was only yesterday allowed to empty its tanks. With extensive damage to its hull, following the incident, the tanker, carrying some 37,000 tonnes of fuel, has been anchored off Gibraltar and Spanish shorelines while the focus remained on New Flame. The damage to the tanker however, impeded the authorities from extracting its fuel load until it had been made safe.

London, Aug 29 - A press report, dated Aug 28, states: Following a weekend of lashing swells on the hull of bulk carrier New Flame assessment is said to have recorded that the vessel is now down to 25% of its integrity, from a 60% reported last week, placing it in further danger of a total break up. As the risks of a natural break up continues, maritime experts and salvage team have been in discussions over the next stage of the operation. Although few official details have as yet been released, it is understood that the main areas of discussions have been on methods to break up the vessel. Amongst two ideas proposed being the welding of the vessel for a complete break up, or a controlled explosion. As experts continue to assess the situation extraction of fuel operations have resumed, to reduce the load of fuel onboard the vessel. Reports of possible use of controlled explosions to break up the vessel have been welcomed by some experts who have questioned why such an option was not taken before. Whilst no decision has been taken, the same experts have indicated that the greatest risk now exists if the vessel were to break up by itself. Opening the possibility for a break up at areas which would not safeguard the current vessels load. WIth the pressure and strains increased during the weekend due to the high swells increasing the damage to the vessel, discussions this afternoon have centred on the next stage of the operation.

London, Aug 28 - A press report, dated Aug 27, states: After a weekend long halt to the salvage operations, mainly due to the severe sea weather conditions at Europa Point, the salvage team for bulk carrier New Flame resumed work in earnest this evening. Led by the salvage tug Fotiy Krylov the team began what is expected to be the final controlled break up of the vessel with pressure increased on the vessel's hull this evening. Although the operation was halted at around 1930 hrs, this evening, only having resumed at around 1730 hrs, official sources have indicated that an assessment of the damage to the vessel was conducted earlier today. According to the same sources the damage to the front of the vessel was found to have extended itself considerably following this weekend's

continuous lashing by rough seas. With the vessel now clearly seen buckling under the damage, the salvage team was today once again seen pulling and holding the vessel in a controlled manner in what seems to be a further attempt to break up the vessel into two. The operations are expected to resume tomorrow morning, with the salvage team expected to continue pulling at the vessel in an attempt to break it up in a controlled manner rather than allowing it to break up naturally. Maritime experts have indicated that the procedure is common since the authorities would be seeking to ensure that the vessel breaks up at exactly the right point rather than risking further cracks emerging which could lead to an environmental disaster if the fuel onboard where released. Signs of the damage can now be clearly seen with the cranes onboard now clearly out of line, showing how the vessel is buckling under its weight.

London, Aug 27 - A press report, dated today, states: Salvage operations on bulk carrier New Flame continued suspended this morning. The operations were suspended after severe sea conditions affected the area, with high swells and winds in the region, especially Europa Point. With the wind now calming down, and the swell reduced, the operations continued suspended with salvage tug Fotiy Krylov still at location with a line attached to the stricken cargo ship as a precautionary measure. Fuel extraction operations have as yet not resumed, with expectations now that the authorities might

opt to refloat the vessel and carry it away instead of pulling it into port. Salvage operations are not expected to continue until tomorrow.

London, Aug 25 - A press report, dated Aug 24, states: The Salvage operations to refloat bulk carrier New Flame has been suspended today. Government officials today stated, "The salvage operation of New Flame continues to be suspended due to adverse weather conditions. The removal of fuel oil will resume, as soon as the weather improves probably early next week. The salvage experts are continuing to organise the operation to refloat the vessel. Specialised equipment has been installed onboard New Flame to monitor the movement and strength of the vessel. The salvage vessels, tugs and all the necessary anti-pollution equipment continue in place at all times.

London, Aug 24 - Salvors working on the half-sunk bulk carrier New Flame halted operations off Gibraltar yesterday due to bad weather. They had been working to remove around 500 tonnes of oil from the vessel, which sustained serious hull damage after colliding with product tanker Torm Gertrud over a week ago. The shipís bow is impaled on Europa Reef and is in danger of breaking from the stern section, although Gibraltar officials said the hull was in a better state than anticipated.

London, Aug 24 - A press report, dated Aug 23, states: The Spanish Instituto Nacional de MeteorologÌa will be activating a yellow weather alert for the areas of Granada and Almeria and coastal areas around the Strait of Gibraltar this weekend. The alert will be activated at 1000 tomorrow and will continue until midnight on Saturday. Winds of up to 85km/h are expected in the areas where the alert is to be activated, which includes Guadix and Baza, in Granada; Valle del Almanzora, Los Velez, Nacimiento and Campo de Tabernas, in AlmerÌa, as well as the coastal areas around the Strait of Gibraltar. The alert comes as the salvage operations for bulk carrier New Flame continues.

London, Aug 23 - Salvage experts were working tonight to refloat the half-sunk bulk carrier New Flame, off Europa Point in Gibraltar and insisted there is very little risk of pollution. Salvors had been forced to halt an operation to remove 500 tonnes of oil from the ship after it became unstable late Monday evening. However, the operation has been restarted this evening. On Tuesday divers said that the hull was starting to crack and it was feared that the ship would break in two. There were dramatic scenes off the lighthouse as the Tsavliris salvage tug Fotiy Krylov secured a steel cable to the stern of New Flame and began to pull. Although it looked brutal, it was in fact a delicate operation designed to speed up the breaking process. Sealed compartments will ensure that the stern section floats, should it still break away from the bow, which is lodged on Europa Reef and will remain there in the short-term. The salvage team expects the oil on board to remain contained within undamaged tanks in the stern section but they are taking no chances. Booms and oil clean-up equipment can be deployed at short notice should they be needed. “At all times the priority remains to minimise the risk of an oil spill,” said Gibraltar’s acting chief minister Joe Holliday, speaking at Europa Point. New Flame was carrying around 700 tonnes of fuel oil and 50 tonnes of diesel when it sank off Europa Point 10 days ago after colliding with product tanker Torm Gertrud. If the vessel does break up, the stern section will be towed into sheltered water in the Bay of Gibraltar and anchored off the Detached Mole, where divers will assess its condition. In such an event, it would then be towed to a berth alongside the South Mole in Gibraltar where the oil will be removed.

London, Aug 23 - A press report, dated Aug 22, states: A change in the weather pattern, a new revision of the salvage plans, and an assessment of the stability of bulk carrier New Flame today led to the operations changing back to the extraction of fuel. With all expectations on the weather turning into a severe levanter the unexpected calm of the sea this morning saw little change in the progress in breaking up the vessel. Instead, all attention was focused on the extraction of the fuel as salvage experts pointed out that the vessel was far more secure than had been originally believed. Instead of a break up of the vessel, as had been seen last night, the new plans now included the possibility of salving the whole vessel in one part, which could see salvage tug Fotiy Krylov pull the vessel from its present position and refloat it. Welding works were underway throughout the day as the vessel remained in position under the calm waters. With the fuel barge placed alongside or the extraction of the fuel to continue throughout the day. The Gibraltar Government today explained that the operation to assist the break in two of the vessel has been halted after further surveys undertaken by the diving team earlier today revealed that despite the external forces applied by Fotiy Krylov, 60% of the vessel strength still remains. “In this condition it is unlikely the vessel will break in two at this stage as first envisaged,” said a spokesperson. Further adding that currently, the salvage team are carrying out further calculations and considering the option of the possibility of salving the entire vessel, by introducing buoyancy to the forward part of the vessel, which will enable her stern to float free of the seabed in a controlled manner with two tugs attached. The operation to remove fuel oil from the vessel, and to improve her buoyancy, has re-commenced. This operation will continue on a 24-hr basis until a decision on the salvage of the vessel has been reached. If the entire vessel were to be refloated, it will be held in its current position by the two tugs until such time as sufficient buoyancy can be introduced and its stability controlled. Thereafter, the vessel will be towed to a more secure location where operations to improve its condition, as well as to remove any fuel which may remain, will commence. “As I’ve said before, in these complex operations situation can change in relatively short periods of time, and so these need to be carefully considered and changes of plans adopted where necessary”, said Acting Chief Minister, The Hon Joe Holliday. The Government continues to be satisfied that every possible course of action is being taken by the salvage team of experts in order to bring this operation to a successful conclusion. At all times, the priority of the Government is to maintain maximum safety and minimum risk to the environment.

London, Aug 23 - According to Lloyd's MIU AIS product tanker Torm Gertrud was still at anchor in lat 36 09 49N, long 05 23 27W, at 1000, UTC, today.

London, Aug 23 - A press report, dated today, states: All eyes remained on the fate of bulk carrier New Flame as the levanter weather brushed against the vessel. After a change in operations yesterday from an attempt to break up the vessel to a continuation of the extraction of the fuel. More changes could be seen today with no extraction operations, or break up operations taking place. Throughout the morning the maritime authorities and salvage team have held meetings to decide how to proceed today. With the wind increasing the swell around the vessel continues to cause concern. Salvage tug Fortiy Krylov has remained in position throughout the night and day with experts indicating that the vessel remains in a stable position at present. Plans on whether it will be refloated and pull to a safe area or the salvage operations will remain as they are now believed be under discussion. The ship is carrying scrap metal, which is not expected to be unloaded due to the dangers in undertaking the operation, and according to maritime sources, due to a lack of storage space locally to hold the cargo. Both factors having placed a key role in the decisions making over the cargo. While environmentalist campaigners continue to focus on their concerns over the cargo, the salvage operation has been hailed as a success up to now with no oil spill or major environmental impact yet seen. As the weather continues to worsen, with heavy swells expected tomorrow, the concerns over the next stage of the operation has become a priority as the authorities continue to maintain a high level of containment and control over the fate of the vessel.

London, Aug 21- A press report, dated today, states: The operation to salvage bulk carrier New Flame has been halted. This decision was taken when the salvage team became aware that the vessel had become unstable and in danger of breaking. The salvage master instructed the salvage team to evacuate the vessel and transfer to salvage tug Fotiy Krylov which has been assisting in the operation since its arrival in Gibraltar last Sunday (Aug 19). "The likely outcome is that the vessel will break in two due to the effects of swell and tides.," said a Government spokesman. Should this happen, as is expected, the likely course of action is for the aft section of the vessel to be towed into a place of safety. It is envisaged that, operational safety permitting, a dive survey will be conducted later today to assess the situation. The results of the survey will determine the course of action to follow. The salvage master has assured the Government that the breaking up of the vessel would cause the aft section to float and all the remaining fuel onboard will remain safely intact in the storage tanks. However, an offshore oil boom and other necessary oil response equipment have been deployed at the scene and is standing by in the unlikely event that this should be required.

London, Aug 22 -- A press report, dated Aug 21, states: Gibraltar Government Minister Joe Holliday has this evening explained that the stricken bulk carrier New Flame, which collided with product tanker Torm Gertrud, could be towed into a safe port if the break up operation undertaken by the salvage team is successful. As tug boat Fotiy Krylov ceased its operation this evening, after over eight hours pulling at the half sunken New Flame off Europa Point, the Minister explained that plans were in place for the controlled break up of the vessel. Assisted by the Spanish maritime authorities Salvamento vessels and helicopters and the RGP and Gibraltar Port authority vessels, Fotiy Krylov has been pulling at the cargo ship after the vessel was considered unstable and dangerous after a week of being bashed by the heavy swells off Europa Point. The latest turn of events, which has seen what was described as a stable and controlled operation turn into a rapid reaction response to break up the vessel, is aimed at breaking the ship into two parts. The aft section then towed slowly into a safe anchorage area within the Bay of Gibraltar for inspection. Once the inspection signals that the vessel is safe to be brought into port a further stage of the operation will see the remains of the vessel pulled into an area in the south mole where the extraction of fuel will be undertaken within safe waters. As the break-up operation reached its climax this evening, before being called off for the night, environmentalist groups kept a watchful eye over the events. Hundreds of locals and tourists flocked to Europa Point to watch the operation as helicopters swooped above keeping an eye on the progress of the operation. Earlier in the morning a minor oil spill had been detected close to the vessel and promptly cleared up, according to maritime sources, although since the collision took place over a week ago, there has been no oil spill reported. Minister Joe Holliday this evening assured that "no stone would be left unturned" to ensure that the operation did not turn into an environmental disaster for the shorelines off Europa Point. With some 500 tonnes of fuel still on board salvage experts have revised their plans indicating that with severe sea conditions expected within the coming days a controlled break up would be easier to control and manage than allowing the vessel to break up under heavy sea swells. It is now expected that the break up operations will continue as from 0900 hrs, Wednesday morning, with Fotiy Krylov still remaining alongside the stricken vessel with its lines attached to ensure that the vessel does not break up overnight.


Date :

From 12 to 20 August 2007 Source :

Lloyd's List


London, Aug 20 - A press report, dated Aug 19, states: Deputy Chief Minister Joe Holliday today announced a new phase in the salvage operations which should see bulker New Flame refloated within weeks. After a briefing with the maritime authorities and officials leading the salvage operation, including the newly arrived tug (salvage tug Fotiy Krylov) which will now take the lead in the operations, Holliday told both Spanish and local press how the salvage team hoped to extract all the fuel from the vessel within the coming days. With the refloating operation taking place after. While admitting that the salvage operations was taking longer than he had hoped, he emphasized the need for caution with the operations taking place on a day by day basis as conditions were reviewed. New safeguards were also now expected to be placed as a netting was due to be placed around the vessel as the new addition to the salvage team joined in with the salvage operations now expected to continue throughout the night and day. The new team now providing facilities for work at night which were not available at first. Speaking to the media Mr Holliday explained that the extraction of fuel had been set as a priority and all safety precautions had been put in place for there not to be any oil spillage. The Captain of the Port, who heads the overseeing of the operation explained how there had been no fuel leak with the cargo secured within its holds as they extracted it from the stricken vessel. As the new phase of the operation was expected to start this evening he explained that it could be weeks before New Flame would be finally refloated, with weather conditions amongst some of the concerns the teams reviewed on a daily basis. The weather forecast has already brought about some concerns with some bad weather expected within the coming weeks. Highlighting some of controversial issues surrounding the actual incident, the Minister claimed that while an investigation is still underway he was confident it would provide evidence that the local maritime authorities were not at blame for the incident taking place. Although recommendations would be considered and put in place depending on the results of the investigation.


London, Aug 16 - A press report, dated today, states: The operation to remove fuel from bulker New Flame is now underway, permission having been granted by the Gibraltar Government this morning. The salvage team has reinstated electrical power to the ship’s systems which has enabled the use of the ship’s pumping system to pump the fuel from the vessel. The fuel is being transferred to a bunker barge, whereafter it will be disposed of in an environmentally-friendly manner, in accordance with applicable legislation. A Government spokesperson said today “all safety measures to protect the environment are in place. These include a 210 metre boom and oil-skimming equipment strategically placed around the stern of the vessel and the bunker barge. In addition, there is oil spill response equipment on standby at the site.” It is envisaged that, weather permitting, the operation to remove the vessel’s fuel will be completed by the end of the week. The salvage experts have reported that steady progress is being made and the operation is proceeding according to plan. Salvage experts and naval architects are presently investigating the condition of the ship to decide how to deal with the vessel and its cargo once the fuel has been removed. Although the Government is confident that the fuel will be removed without any spills into the sea, in the event of such spills occurring the pollution consequences would also affect the Spanish coastline. Accordingly, the Hon Joe Holliday today invited the Captain of the Port of Algeciras to Gibraltar to be briefed by the Captain of the Port of Gibraltar on the operation that is under way to de-fuel New Flame. The meeting took place this afternoon. Maritime experts have today pointed out that as the de-fuelling took place the vessel was believed to have been re-floated some two feet and should see a further lift within the coming hours and days as the operation takes place making it easier for its salvage.


London, Aug 15 - The master of bulker New Flame which was in collision with product tanker Torm Gertrud off Gibraltar last weekend has been released on bail of £2,000, plus £2,000 security, after being charged with conduct likely to endanger shipping. Meanwhile, Gibraltarís shipping minister Joe Holliday, who is currently acting as chief minister, has met representatives of leading salvor Tsavliris to discuss salvage arrangements. Top priority is to remove fuel from the vessel and specialist equipment for this operation is currently heading for the island. Sunday ís (Aug 12) casualty, which took place off Europa Point, led to a major joint emergency operation by Gibraltar and Spain. Some 23 officers and ratings on board New Flame were brought to shore. Subsequent medical examinations revealed no injuries. The master, who appeared before magistrates yesterday, was named only as Capt D Konstantinos. Local newspapers have reported that the US authorities ordered changes to New Flameís radar system after a port call last month. But radar is not thought to have been a factor in the collision. The other vessel involved in the incident was Danish product tanker Torm Gertrud. Torm declined to comment on what, if any, damage was sustained by its vessel.


London, Aug 15 - A press report, dated Aug 14, states: The Government has today continued further discussions with the salvage experts in respect of the salvage plan of bulker New Flame. A spokesman for the DTI said today "discussions have been held at technical level during the course of the morning. These have been followed by a meeting with Minister Joe Holliday this afternoon, in which preliminary details of the first phase of the operation, which consists of various preparatory works and the removal of the fuel oil from the engine-room, were presented. This phase should start tomorrow as soon as all the necessary equipment is in place. "The position of the vessel remains unchanged and the situation is stable and safe. The Gibraltar Port Authority has today declared a one mile exclusion zone around the vessel for operational reasons. "At 0600 today salvage tug Hua An specially commissioned for this salvage operation arrived in Gibraltar and is now on standby safety in the vicinity of New Flame. "A second salvage tug Fotiy Krylov is due to arrive in Gibraltar on Friday.


London, Aug 14 - A press report, dated Aug 13, states: The Gibraltar Government met the salvage experts and the owners of bulker New Flame this afternoon to consider an initial assessment of the proposed plan for the salvage of the cargo vessel. The plan is being submitted by the Tsalviris Salvage Group at meetings chaired by the Joe Holliday, Minister for Shipping. The plan will be formally presented in written format for approval by the Gibraltar Port Authority tomorrow. In the first instance, the plan aims to recover the cargo ship ís fuel in order to minimise any possible risk to the environment. Specialist equipment for this operation is on its way to Gibraltar. The Royal Gibraltar Police have arrested the master of New Flame, Captain D Konstantinos on suspicion of conduct likely to endanger shipping under the Merchant Shipping Act of Gibraltar. He has been remanded in custody to appear before the Magistrateís Court tomorrow. This evening the master is being questioned by the RGP with the assistance of the Captain of the Port and the Maritime Administrator.


London, Aug 13 - A press report, dated Aug 12, states: The Royal Gibraltar Police have confirmed that there is a Port Investigation into how bulker New Flame collided with product tanker Torm Gertrud in the early hours of this morning less than one mile off Europa Point. The Government has called on all maritime salvage companies in Gibraltar to be ready in the case of an oil spill. The vessel had bunkered before leaving Gibraltar and is believed to have full fuel tanks. All emergency equipment has been in place ready to deploy to the vessel at short notice should a fuel incident unfold. The Junta de Andalucia and Spanish Port Maritime authorities have also put in place emergency contingency plans should this occur.


London, Aug 13 - A press report, dated today, states: Bulker New Flame, cargo of scrap metal, was in collision with product tanker Torm Gertrud in Gibraltar waters, one kilometre south of Europa Point, Gibraltar at 0555 yesterday. New Flame had just left Gibraltar bound for Turkey. Torm Gertrude was heading inbound for Algeciras from the Eastern Mediterranean. As a result of the collision both vessels were damaged. Torm Gertrude proceeded to Algecias. The vessel is currently in a safe condition. The damage sustained by New Flame resulted in it taking in water with Nos 1 and 2 holds being completely flooded. This caused the vessel to start sinking by the bow, at which point the crew of 23 abandoned ship safely. The vessel then drifted to a nearby reef, where it came to rest. The current situation is that the bow of the vessel is resting on the reef and the remainder of the vessel, from amidships to the stern, is above the surface of the water. The Gibraltar Port Authority activated its Emergency Response Plan and deployed the necessary resources to the scene of the incident. The Gibraltar Port Authority have deployed divers to the vessel to inspect the damage and a full on-board inspection is being carried out by the Gibraltar Maritime Surveyors. Options are being considered for the removal of the vessel ís fuel to avoid any oil spill. Anti-oil spill resources are on standby alongside the vessel in case the need arises. The Gibraltar Maritime Administration has commenced an investigation, into the collision and also into how New Flame departed from the Port of Gibraltar without the necessary clearance. (Note - According to Lloyd's MIU AIS Torm Gertrud was at anchor in lat 36 09 41.57N, long 05 23 07.47W, at 0752, UTC, today.)


London, Aug 13 -Understand salvage services are being rendered to bulker New Flame by Tsavliris Salvage under Lloyd's Open Form. ="margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0"> 

London, Aug 12 - Following received from Madrid MRCC, timed 0755, UTC: A collision occurred at about 0400, UTC, between bulker New Flame (26824 gt, built 1994), cargo scrap iron, and product tanker Torm Gertrud (30058 gt, built 2002), cargo 57,000 tonnes of petroleum, 0.7 miles south of southern Gibraltar. Torm Gertrud presently anchored in Algeciras Bay, with damage to forepeak. New Flame still on collision site, with risk of sinking. Cargo Holds Nos.1 & 2 flooded, holds 3,4 & 5 have water in them. (Note: According to Lloyds MIU AIS, New Flame, at 0907, BST, today, in lat 36 6 15.48N, long 05 20 13.68W, stationery 2.2 nautical miles south of Gibraltar. Torm Gertrud, at 0910, BST, today, in lat 36 5 25.06N, long 05 24 53.75W, 2.5 nautical miles from Algeciras, speed 0.2 knots, course (COG): 29.8 deg.)


London, Aug 12 - A press report, dated today, states: A full scale contingency emergency maritime operation is currently underway less than one mile off Europa Point, Gibraltar, after bulker New Flame collided with product tanker Torm Gertrud at 0630 this morning, leading to at least five of New Flame crew members being taken to St Bernardís hospital. New Flame, carrying scrap metal, is described as being stable at present, with observers at the scene reporting that the bow of the ship is being held up by the sea bed and the aft by three tugs. All crew members have been evacuated from the vessel and a maritime expert is said to be currently on board. The Spanish Salvanento coast guard are assisting in the operation, with helicopters at the incident, assessing the situation and assisting Gibraltar authorities. Minister Holliday has been at the scene this morning and has called an Emergency Contingency Meeting in Gibraltar. It is believed that Torm Gertrud has sustained minimal damage and sailed earlier to Algeciras.


London, Aug 12 - A press report, dated today, states: Maritime experts at Europa Point have expressed the belief that bulker New Flame can be salved, as it is stable and the bow is touching the sea bed. They have also commented that it is likely that the vesselís fuel can be extracted. The vessel's tanks are believed to be full, having received bunkers before leaving Gibraltar earlier. Full emergency contingency plans have been put in place now by the Spanish authorities, to help in the operation to prevent the vessel from sinking. Eric Shaw from the Gibraltar Ornithological and Natural History Society has been at the scene this morning, and has expressed concern in regards to the environmental impact of the incident which is in an environmental interest zone. Reports state that the vessel had just left Gibraltar, while product tanker Torm Gertrud was heading towards Algeciras.








Sources :  



Hull :

USD 30-35 Millions Cargo : USD 10 000 000
Liability :


Fees : TBA
Others : TBA    

Sources :








All Rights Reserved

If I have accidentally breached a copyright attaching to any of the photographs on this page, please e-mail me, and I shall remove the photograph immediately





NB : All the Information mentioned in this page are extracted from public and free access web sites or papers, magazines, etc. Our sources are mentioned. If any problem, please contact the webmaster.

Close the window


  Free counter and web stats